Wednesday, May 21, 2008

69er

No not that, get you're mind out of the gutter. I'm talking about the newest version of the bike of many talents, it just keeps on changing.

The braking surface on the rear roadie wheel was wearing a bit thin so I rebuilt it with a new rim. Now I like building wheels, strangely therapeutic. Seems to free my mind from everything else and time just drifts by, an 1/8th of a turn at a time. Finding it hard to throw the old one out and feeling like building another, I laced it on a disc front hub thinking it could be the first half of a road wheelset for the mtb's. After all it was only the braking surface that was worn out, and that doesn't matter if I'm using a disc brake.

Then I noticed how much clearance there was in my rigid fork. Well a cable disc caliper and a 29er tyre later I have this monstrosity.


Funnily enough the rigid fork with a 29er wheel is the same ride height and same weight as the 26" wheel with the SID. Now I just gotta find time to ride it, I wonder if T-Brown is actually on to something with the concept. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Let me know what you think. Been riding this way almost a year and a half now and I love it.