Wednesday, December 03, 2008

GVBR...I'm home


The notorious 'bus chamois time' pair...they were later outdone by a dude who hadn't taken his knicks off for 3 days. That means riding, eating, sleeping and no showering. I reckon I could almost see the chamois mushrooms sprouting.

Of 4500 people associated with the GVBR supposedly I was the first to question this dude about his setup. A little backyard invention that is soon to turn into the first proto production run with patent and all. The idea is that the springs are loaded with the more powerful sections of the pedal stroke which then release some of their energy through the dead spot to snap you over it. It also loads up with accelerations to give you a bit more kick as well as being able to be preloaded for track starts. Not gonna be UCI legal but I'm sure there'll be dude's snapping them up to beat their buddies with. I can also see it smoothing out the pedal stroke a bit which could be good for the commuter crowd, considering the numbers I saw with knee pain this week.

This is the result of waking up at 8am to find breakfast all packed up. Was quite content with my scrounging.

The line of finely tuned machines that were my transport around the numerous country towns we visited. I'm not sorry to see the back of them.

GVBR attracts all types. I heard report of average speeds less than 10km/h. So while some were doing 10 hour days we enjoyed the local attractions, like $3 mini golf, which we weren't very good at...Chloe.

Supposedly there was some fancy smiley face constellation that we're not gonna see in our lifetime, I didn't capture it too well.

The Grampians were the drawcard to this years route, luckily no EPIX style hike a bike.

Every morning that was beginnings of the pace bunch...Chloe, Kate and Simon.

By the end of the day there were 20 or 30 hangers on and about 4000 riders passed.

That's my borrowed setup for the one day I rode. Please excuse pretty much everything; jousting sticks, odd shoes, foam dome helmet, fire engine red bike and kit, casual sunnies etc. etc.

Not much water around.

The skills a few seasons in Europe teach you...if anyone asks it says Teschner not Trek.

While the food was good considering they were cooking for 4500, the $10 lunch specials were a welcome change in Halls Gap.

Graduation tomorrow meant a mission to get home from Halls Gap. Five hours of bus time, Stawell was half an hour into the trip, all I saw for the rest of the trip was the back of my eyelids.

No comments: