Sunday, May 23, 2010

A fine line

Training in the dark after work can get a bit eiry. The helmet hair doesn't help when you get home and a shadow is cast in the dark!

It's Sunday afternoon and a solid week on the bike is complete. The legs are tired, good, but there's a slight tickle in the throat, BAD! Cycling is becoming more and more a game of numbers. I'm still new to this training with power thing having only been at it for about 8 months. Only now am I starting to see trends and starting to understand how to use it. So what does the data have to say about that tickle in my throat?

I'm most interested in my chronic training load (CTS). From what I've gathered a rise of 1-4 in a week is an easy week, a rise of 5-8 is a moderate week and a rise of 9-12 is a hard week. The last time I got really sick was after smashing myself in and around Bright over the Christmas/New Years period. That was a CTS rise of 13. This past week has seen a rise of 10, a fine line between health and sickness. With some good sleep and nutritious food let's hope that tickle in my throat doesn't turn into anything more and there's nothing stopping me pinning a number on next Sunday for Round 1 of Chase The Sun. Five hours racing mtb's on four weeks training...should be interesting.

Enough of the boring talk though. On yesterdays ride I stopped by Albert Park for a bit of criterium viewing. A hotdog-esque course had the field whittled down pretty quickly to a group of about ten with all the usual suspects present. With three to go the moves started.

First Dan

then Eric

and finally Alex and Dan made one stick.
Alex got the maiden win for the new Search2Retain team with owner/manager (above) screaming and jumping up and down with excitement. Hats off to Apollo's newest recruit Kane Walker for winning the bunch sprint to take third.

1 comment:

David said...

Anything more than a rise of 7 CTL points is considered over-reaching and can lead to over training/ sickness. Also what tends to happen is you either keep pushing and make things worse or back off to recover and lose the gains made.